Here’s some other observations:
1. Cleanest city I have EVER been too. By far. Extremely clean.
2. Big water shows at malls & waterfalls everywhere. Water “features” are prominent in all areas.
3. There work week is Sunday – Thursday. Holy day is Friday. Also, most people we know work 6 days a week.
4. There is no alcohol in public. Only place you can drink is in a hotel or at home. Which makes the hotel bars the “trendiest” places in town. Hotel bars are crowded but not until 10pm.
5. My nephew is “a good looking boy”. I know this b/c whenever we are out in public people touch him on the head and tell us this. They definitely favor the men.
6. My sis in law had to get my brothers permission in order to get her driver’s license.
7. Everything you want can be delivered to your house for free.
8. All bathrooms have a “booty washer hose”. It’s actually so Muslims can clean their feet.
9. No matter where you park, there is someone waiting who will wash your car in the spot where you parked it while you do whatever it is you parked to do.
10. Everything is Extravagant & Luxurious. You see high end brand names everywhere. It’s like the entire country is Beverly Hills.
11. Egg yolks are orange in color.
12. Blonds are popular. At lunch with my 2 brunette friends, i seriously felt all the waiters staring at me and they would only address me when taking our orders.
13. There are many fun things to do in the desert. Camel riding, bellydance shows and sandsurfing just to name a few.
14. The Emirates have money. You know this even though they are covered in a burka. You can see watches and sunglasses sticking out that are definitely designer made. We know the government have given them some sort of financial guarantee but no one seems to know exactly what it is. Only that they are taken care of for life.
15. If you wake up before noon it seems like there is literally no one around. Like a ghost town. By 9pm though everything is ROCKING. This is definitely a city that comes alive at night.
16. Tobacco is still a major part of the Middle Eastern lifestyle. Hookah’s are everywhere and smoking inside restaurants and bars is very prevalent.
17. Men hold hands and rub noses to show friendship in public. However, a man & wife can not show any forms of public affection.
18. There is no way to describe the architecture. Everything is beautiful and modern and buildings are like works of art.
19. Women in burka’s are fascinating to watch. We can’t figure out how they eat or drink and are curious as to what they what they wear underneath. They are also into fashion trends. There are “levels” of burka wear and many of them are bejeweled or bedazzled on sleeves or on the seams.
20. Customer service is impeccable. No matter where we go they aim to please. If something is not to your liking not only do they not charge you but they keep bringing you out different options until you find something you like.
21. Security is SERIOUS. You can not go in any hotel, condo, etc unless you belong there. Everywhere asks for ID. All the hotel beaches have security out there.
22. Allah (pronounced In-shallah) means if God wills it. You will hear this alot from the locals. For instance, question: ”Will you be at work tommorrow?” answer: Allah.